I went on a 4 week solo holiday to Laos (and a small part of Thailand). Aaahhhh, relaxation galore!
I had a full month to bus, boat and train through Laos and a bit of Thailand.
I flew into Bangkok, took a night train and buses to northern Laos, visited some places there, and then worked my way down through central and southern Laos and ended my trip with some days on the Thai island of Ko Chang. Then I spent some last days in Bangkok and flew home to Amsterdam, where a yearly documentary film festival and a fun volleyball tournament awaited me.
What I loved about Laos:
- super friendly, soft people
- very safe
- good food (but saw some disgusting foods too like bats and crickets and chicken feet…)
- nice weather
- small size cities with colonial (French) architecture, temples, monks
- beautiful mountains, rice paddies, caves, waterfalls, the Mekong and other rivers
- lovely bungalows overlooking rivers, and a nice homestay with a local family
- massages are dirt cheap
- it’s easy to rent bikes everywhere and use them to get around towns
In my blog you can read all about my adventures and see the pictures… how I went kayaking, tubing in a cave, swam under waterfalls, did a boat ride through a 7 km long cave, danced with Thai people and travellers alike, met loads of nice people, saw amazing sunsets, etc. Go to my travel tales and photos and videos:
- Party time in Bangkok, Thailand
- Vang Vieng, Laos, a love/hate relationship
- Lovely Luang Prabang and Kuang Si waterfalls
- Vientiane, a quiet capital
- Thakhek, base for cave visit
- Konglor, 7 kilometer river through a cave
- Back to Thakhek
- Loooong bus ride to Pakse
- Tat Lo waterfalls and elephants
- Back to Pakse
- 4000 islands in the Mekong river
- Ultra relaxing on Thai island Ko Chang
- Last few days in Bangkok
- Back home
Going to Laos yourself? These are some very useful websites I wanted to share.
* Train travel www.seat61.com > train travel around the globe, excellent website with timetables, prices, pictures and sometimes even short videos
* Hotel reviews www.travelfish.org > A great website that lists almost every guesthouse and hotel in Laos, Thailand, and various other South East Asian countries, with ratings and reviews.