A 10 day holiday in one of my favorite places on earth: Berlin! 😀
I had visited 6 times before but I can’t get enough of this place. If it weren’t for my life back home (friends, work, beach volleyball etc) I’d move there.
I drove over by car and brought my own bike. I must have ridden my bike for more than 150 kilometers throughout the entire city.
I stayed in two different apartments in Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg.
Outside Berlin I also visited Potsdam, and Beelitz-Heilstätten, an old hospital complex used by Russians, and before that it was the tuberculosis health resort for Berlin.
Some new discoveries for me in Berlin:
- Hohenschönhausen prison, also used by Stasi
- Mauerpark flea market on Sunday
- The open air karaoke in Mauerpark on Sunday!
- Berliner Unterwelten bunkers and unused metro tunnels
- Wedding area, Neuköln area
- Vietnamese restaurant Chay Viet, Brunnenstrasse
- Kaffeebar for breakfast/lunch, lovely big salads and great coffee, Graefestrasse
- Morning Glory breakfast cafe, Kastanienallee
- Tempelhof former airfield, now a recreational area
- More Berlin tips here!
Open air karaoke
This is a compilation of my time at the open air karaoke in Mauerpark. Wait for the ‘cute’ (?) girl at the end. 🙂
Some random things I noticed this time:
- Apparently ‘ciao’ has become more popular than ‘tschüss’.
- A lot of times when people at the next cafe/restaurant table left they said goodbye to me. Much more so than in the Netherlands.
- Cycling in Berlin is so mellow and quiet! No scooters and mopeds like in Amsterdam!
- The air doesn’t smell of coal anymore like it did in 2000 when I was first there.